Sunday, July 12, 2009

Last Day in Iceland


I´m in Reykjavik today, the one place I´ve been before in this country. It´s a very cool city. They have this thing called 'the runtur' that they do on weekend nights. Basically, you go out and bar hop until the wee hours of the morning. It´s easy to do when it looks like this at 3 a.m.


Before that, I´d been in the most touristy spot in Iceland, Lake Mývatn, which translates literally to "Midge Lake" (a midge is a black fly). I went to an area of "new lava" - less than 30 years old - called Leirhnjúkur. This was pretty crazy. The ground all around us was steaming (it´s considered "active") and there were signs posted saying we were there at our own risk, yadda yadda.

But the belle of the ball is the lake itself. This is the view from the dining room (and my tent) at Guesthouse Dimmuborgir (Dimmuborgir means "dark castles"). Tons of little islands and inlets make this lake something really special.

Here´s a view of the south side of the lake, where I ran into my friends Francesco and Marina who I´d met in Akureyri. We´re having dinner tonight in Reykjavik, and I´m having drinks with my friend Mæja and her husband Mads, so I´m booked for the whole evening. Not a bad way to spend my last day in town (and, by the way, the weather here is gorgeous today!).

1 comment:

Id it is said...

What amazing pictures! Truly a visual delight!