Sunday, July 05, 2009

Guesthouse Kiðafell - June 30 and July 1



This is the view from my guesthouse the first two nights I was here. I only went about 30 or 40 miles north of Reykjavik, which was actually a pretty good call, as you can see. My hosts were Norwegian, as it turned out, and were extremely hospitable.




On my first day in Iceland, I decided to climb Esja, this gigantic mountain. There were actually a lot of others climbing as well, but not so many that I felt crowded. The bad news was that I forgot my GPS, binoculars and hiking boots. So I made it all the way except for the last 30 or 40 feet, where the top of the mountain turned to a series of stone blocks. I was pretty paranoid about getting back down in my second-string running shoes, and for good reason as it turned out. I never fell, but trying to regain my balance one time I almost threw my left arm out of socket. It still hurts a little today, five days later.




Day two, I headed inland to see some lava caves. This is a picture near the entrance. I hiked in six kilometers, did the cave most of the way, then returned, and hiked the six k back.

Yes, I am doing a lot of hiking on this trip!



Day three, I travelled around the Snæfellsness peninsula by car, and ended up in Grundarfjörður. It´s a very laid-back and cool place. This is a picture of Kirkjufell, a giant mountain in the ocean just off the coast.




Just before I got to Stykkishólmur, I took a short detour through madness... Berserkjahraun. This is probably the most alien landscape I´ve seen in this county, and that´s REALLY saying something.

Standard disclaimer: The pictures do not do it justice. You´ll just have to see it for yourself ;)

1 comment:

bereweber said...

as commented on my own blog about this superb photo of yours
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GFWrFHm6j_E/SlFGsflx0eI/AAAAAAAAAU4/64boh87siOk/s1600-h/DSC04758.JPG

i know what this mountain reminds me of!: the Devil's Tower National Monument that appeard on Close Encounter of the Third Kind! no wonder the place looks sort of creepy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Encounters_of_the_Third_Kind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_Tower_National_Monument

now listen to the tune!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcOaGawIW0

gives me goose bumps, what a wonderful film, back when Spielberg was masterful! one of my favorite alien's films of all times!

Sr. Perro!! are you still with us? or have the aliens picked you up in their Mother ship with cool sounds ;)